Thursday, August 13, 2009

An August Birthday

I am very blessed to have many great and wonderful friends and family around me. Two of my oldest friends have their birthdays in August, plus my younger sister's partner also celebrates a birthday this month. Claire's was at the beginning of August and she ended up bringing us fruit salad to share to celebrate her birthday! It was delicious though :) So I really enjoy the month of August and trying to come up with new ideas of how to show some of the wonderful people in my life just how much they mean to me.

Today is Nuka's birthday. We have been best friends since our third form in college, so fourteen and a half years now. Every milestone in our lives since the day we meet we have shared. We have an amazing ability to talk for hours, to tell each other (almost!) anything. She is one of the twins honourary Aunties (Along with Claire and Michelle) meaning to me that she is such a wonderful, good, fantastic friend she is really part of our family. Really, she's another sister to me.

So for her birthday I thought I'd share some quotes that I feel fit our friendship. Next year I promise to write something myself, but I'm a little short on inspiration tonight due to some pain.

To Nuka, Happy Birthday :)

The best kind of friend is the one you could sit on a porch with, never saying a word, and walk away feeling like that was the best conversation you've had. ~Author Unknown

A true friend is one who thinks you are a good egg even if you are half-cracked. ~Author Unknown

Friends are kisses blown to us by angels. ~Author Unknown

What is a friend? A single soul dwelling in two bodies. ~Aristotle

Are we not like two volumes of one book? ~Marceline Desbordes-Valmore

When we honestly ask ourselves which person in our lives mean the most to us, we often find that it is those who, instead of giving advice, solutions, or cures, have chosen rather to share our pain and touch our wounds with a warm and tender hand. The friend who can be silent with us in a moment of despair or confusion, who can stay with us in an hour of grief and bereavement, who can tolerate not knowing, not curing, not healing and face with us the reality of our powerlessness, that is a friend who cares. ~Henri Nouwen

Oh, the comfort, the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person, having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but pouring them all out, just as they are, chaff and grain together, certain that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and with a breath of kindness blow the rest away. ~Dinah Craik

It's the friends who follow you up steep hillsides, stay with you even when you tell them wolves are coming, and forgive you for telling them your house is haunted right before falling asleep that count. ~ Carla Watkin

1 comment:

  1. Awww! It made me cry! Will print out and put on my wall. Thank you - that was a lovely birthday present. xxxNuka

    ReplyDelete